Frequently Asked Questions

The Answers You Need

How long should I keep my tax records for?

Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return. Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.Nov 28, 2017
Find more information at:

What are your service fees?


What do I need to have my taxes prepared?

This is easier said than done, right? Well, no, not with the right tools. Here is an easy-to-follow list of documents you’ll need to file your taxes this year. If you need a refresher or are just getting started with your tax document organization, here’s an overview of what is needed for your 2018 tax filing:

Personal Information

Employee Information

  • W-2 Forms

Childcare Expenses

  • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler.

  • Wages paid to a babysitter.

Charitable Contributions

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

  • Records of non-cash charitable donations

  • Mileage driven for charitable purposes

Medical Expenses

  • Total amount paid for healthcare insurance and expenses; along with itemized receipts

  • Health Insurance

    • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace

    • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source

  • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace

Self-Employment Information

  • Form 1099-MISC

  • Schedule K-1

  • Income records to verify amounts paid if not reported on a 1099-MISC

  • Records of all expenses paid in 2017 related to your self-employment business

  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation purposes

  • Home office expenses

Retirement Information

  • Total amount you contributed for 2017

  • Total value of your retirement accounts as of Dec. 31, 2017

  • Pensions, IRA, and other retirement income (Form 1099-R)

  • Social Security income

Rental Income

  • Records of income and expenses paid in 2017

  • Rental asset totals – cost, date placed in service for depreciation determination.

State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax

  • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding) or amount of state and local sales tax paid

  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid

Financial Information

  • Your bank account and routing number

  • A list of taxes you paid the previous two years: including property taxes, state and local taxes and any estimated taxes payments you made

Educational Expenses

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

Job Expenses

  • Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)

  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)

  • Job-hunting expenses

  • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer